This week’s story to reset our fast pace and perspective to what really makes us happy… remember that energised feeling we had in the holidays a few weeks ago !
A well-known story that was passed onto us in our yoga class this morning. Yes – our new year revolution is to do daily yoga no matter what!
The teacher cleared off his desk and placed on top of it a few items. One of the items was an empty mason jar. He proceeded to fill up the jar with golf balls until he could fit no more. He looked at the classroom and asked his students if they agree that the jar is full. Every student agreed that the jar was indeed full.
The teacher then picked up a box of small pebbles and poured them into the jar with the golf balls. The pebbles filled all of the openings in between the golf balls. He asked the students if the jar was full. Once again, they agreed.
Now the teacher picked up a bag of sand and poured it into the mason jar. The sand filled in all of the empty space left between the golf balls and pebbles. He asked the class again if the jar was full. The students agreed it was technically full.
Finally, the teacher pulled out two beers from under his desk and poured both of them into the jar filling the empty space between the sand. Now the students began to laugh wondering how far this was going.
The teacher waited until the laughter stopped. “I want you to recognise that this jar represents your life,” he started. “The golf balls represent the important things. Your family, children, health, friends, and passions. If everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.
The pebbles represent the other things in life that matter, such as your job, house and car. The sand—that is everything else. The small stuff. If you put the sand in first, there is no room for the pebbles or golf balls.
The same goes for life. If you spend all of your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are most important. Pay attention to the important things in your life.
Enjoy time with family. Go to dinner with a loved one, call your grandparents. Play games with your kids. There will ALWAYS be time to clean the house or take yourself shopping.
Take care of the golf balls first—the things that really matter. The rest is just sand. You are dismissed.”
Before the students left, one shouted out. “You never mentioned what the beer represents!”
The professor smiled and said, “Well I’m glad you asked. The beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room to have a beer with a friend.”
Why do we need Magnesium? And how can we tell we need it?
Magnesium is a necessary element which boost the immune system and treats tissue repair and condition and more.
Why do we need Magnesium?
Magnesium is responsible for over 300 chemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function. It keeps your heart beating steadily. And, it helps to build a healthy immune system. Magnesium is a crucial element that your body needs to function at even the most basic levels – making it crucially important to get enough of this essential mineral on a daily basis.
Magnesium is also the fourth most abundant mineral in your body. This mineral may also play a role in addressing medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes and cardiovascular disease, according to the Office of Dietary Supplements, or ODS.
How can we tell we need it?
Stressed, trouble sleeping, eye twitches, muscle cramps, spasms, anxiety….?
We found a good site below that notes some symptoms of low Magnesium. Tried and tested, I can say I have a much more peaceful and restful sleep with extra Magnesium in my diet:
– Headaches/ Migraines
– Sore Muscles
– Insomnia/ Restless Legs
– Fibromyalgia/ Chronic Fatigue
– Colds/ Flu/ Sore throat
– High Blood Pressure
– Asthmatic Conditions
– Facial/ Skin Care – use topically to combat bad bacteria.
– Also may help Asthma, Arthritis, Heart Health, Cognitive Function, Cramping, PMS, Menopause, Skin repair, Immune functioning, Skin Repair and finally as the most effective Deodorant you’ll ever use.
Also remember to consume a good ratio of Calcium to Magnesium of around anywhere from 1:1 to 2:1.
Calcium – green leafy vegetables, Spirulina, Super Greens, nuts, tahini, seeds. All devoid of animal fat (like in dairy milk), which actually decreases your absorption of Calcium in the body. Go for a plant source of Calcium – it absorbs better.
As part of our product reviews and ‘getting-to-know’ the Organic Buyers Group , we will introduce a new Product Category and a Product each day.
Today’s Product is Nasanta’s Magnesium Deodorant as shown here:
The BEST BEST Deodorant you will ever use – neutralises the acid bacteria that forms throughout the day.
Nasanta and Amazing Oils Magnesium products are beneficial as they provide us all, the much needed Magnesium we are lacking due to soil depletion over time and the introduction of overly processed foods.
Magnesium – relaxes aches, pains, tight muscles, headaches, encourages sleep amongst many other health benefits as listed in the previous post.
We can also replenish Magnesium in our diets with top superfoods such as:
1. Oat Bran
2. Black Styrian Pumpkin & Sunflower & Flax Seeds
3. Tahini – Black Tahini has the highest compared to white sesame
4. Nuts – Brazil, Almonds
5. Cacao Powder – Loving Earth’s Raw Cacao Powder is in our top 5 bestselling products, rich, pure and delicious!
6. Molasses – Blackstrap, unsulphured and organic – Melrose’s is the best value and super popular. 1 spoon in warm water in the morning is so soothing.
All these products can be found in store in several categories:
1. Cereals obg.com.au/cereals
2. Seeds obg.com.au/seeds
3. Butters Tahini obg.com.au/butters
4. Nuts obg.com.au/nuts
5. Cacao obg.com.au/cacao
6. Sweeteners Molasses obg.com.au/sweeteners
OK…. that was 6 categories today!
Though Magnesium is such an important element to boost in our bodies, along with a good ratio of Calcium. Wholefoods have a good balance.
Sooth tired muscles, headaches and sleepless nights with Australian Organic Magnesium Chloride.
Nowhere else in the world is it possible to find the guaranteed purity of BFA Organic Certification.
After discovering what Dr Carolyn Dean calls the ‘Miracle of Magnesium’, Amazing Oils set out to find the purest grade of Magnesium Chloride.
Click here for the Amazing Oils Organic Magnesium Oil products.
Listen to what Dr Carolyn Dean says about the benefits of Magnesium:
Health Benefits and Usage: Spray on the skin and gently massage.
– Basic Use for all symptoms as well as general health improvement is to spray under armpits and behind the knees.
– For Headaches/ Migraines: Rub into temples and back of the neck.
– Sore Muscles: Use topically. Rub in. Relief will only take a few minutes.
– Insomnia/ Restless Legs: Basic protocol twice daily. Use on legs before sleep.
– Fibromyalgia/ Chronic Fatigue: Use twice daily plus topically for pain relief.
– Colds/ Flu/ Sore throat: At first signs basic use is spray twice in half-cup of water. Gargle and swallow.
– High Blood Pressure – as Basic Use and also spray onto chest twice daily and rub in.
– Asthmatic Conditions: Same as high blood pressure (above) and spray twice into half-cup water thrice daily.
– Facial/ Skin Care: Basic Use as above plus use directly on skin.
– Also suitable for Asthma, Arthritis, Heart Health, Cognitive Function, Cramping, PMS, Menopause, Skin repair, Immune functioning, Skin Repair, Deodorant.
Ingredients: Certified Organic Magnesium Chloride.
Happy New Year folks!
To help us digest away all our indulgence over the holiday break – at last we have a favourite, tried, test in almost all cultures for many centuries – traditionally fermented or pickled foods – the natural probiotic!
As Mercola notes:
“Traditionally fermented foods, or “functional foods,” are highly beneficial because they give you natural probiotics, now recognized as crucially important for your immune health
Probiotic bacteria, either from fermented foods or as a probiotic supplement, have been shown to help with many problematic health conditions, including irritable bowel syndrome, atopic dermatitis, diarrhea, allergic rhinitis, and even the common cold.
Traditionally fermented foods also offer enormous benefit for your baby, including lowering her risk for adverse vaccine reactions.
Though the term “fermented” sounds vaguely distasteful, the results of this ancient preparation and preservation technique – produced through the breakdown of carbohydrates and proteins by micro-organisms such as bacteria, yeasts and moulds – are actually delicious.
Even more so, they are so beneficial to overall health that some of these “functional foods” are now considered to be “probiotics,” increasing your overall nutrition, promoting the growth of friendly intestinal bacteria, and aiding digestion and supporting immune function.
This also includes an increase in B vitamins (even Vitamin B12), omega-3 fatty acids, digestive enzymes, lactase and lactic acid, and other immune chemicals that fight off harmful bacteria and even cancer cells.”
Many cultures have used pickled vegetables to aid health e.g. Captain Cook in the 1700′s took sauerkraut, high in Vitamin C, on board his ship for long journeys to prevent scurvy of the crew.
Similar pickled and fermented vegetables and cabbage in other countries include:
– Korean kimchi
– Japanese tsukemono
– Chinese suan cai
– Filipino atchara
– Salvadoran Curtido.
Sauerkraut is the most important ingredient in the shchi, a traditional soup of Russia where it has been known as far back as the 9th century, the time of the import of cabbage from Byzantium.
Enjoy your Sauerkraut or Cornichons (mini gherkins/cucumbers) in your burger, sandwich, favourite salad or on a cracker anytime!
The humble, sometimes forgotten licorice candy or chew in our cupboard is our topic today.
We recently included an Australian Certified Organic Licorice in our store here due to customer demand and the fact we just love our licorice.
Green Grove Organics in Junee, NSW have been making organic licorice and chocolate for decades. The typical ingredients of a licorice chew are: molasses, flour, sugar, licorice root and aniseed.
The speciality of our chosen licorice is that it is made with Spelt flour which is more nutritious than modern day wheat, with a lower GI and wonderful flavour.
Another good thing is that we can enjoy pure licorice in powder form, as a tablet or in a tea blend.
So why is licorice so good for you?
Green Grove Organics, along with other health sources have shared that licorice aids digestion. For any digestion problems including acid reflux, consuming a licorice tablet or food, tea before eating helps encourage mucin production in the oesophagus providing a protective barrier against stomach acids or other acidic fluids.
Some other benefits of licorice are that it may aid in the following areas:
- Boosts the immune system
- Is a mild natural pain reliever
- Aids endurance
- Activates the liver
- Rejuvinates the pancreas
- Strengthens the respiratory system
- Aids digestion
- Cures ulcers
- Fights tooth decay.
Licorice is a medicinal herb that dates back over 4000 years. Ancient clay tablets describe licorice as the “elixir of life” for it’s cure-all characteristics.
The botanical name for licorice actually means ‘sweet root’ and is the key to the remarkable taste and medicinal properties of licorice. In the root of the licorice plant is a substance called glycyrrhizin, which is 50 times sweeter than cane sugar. This has made the root of the licorice plant a versatile and healthy flavouring in many foods and medicines.
Modern research has been able to substitute synthetic substances for licorice, however they don’t have the same therapeutic benefits.
Organic licorice on the other hand is an attempt to adhere to the traditional methods of growing and making licorice that combines the taste and the health benefits of this ancient herb.
So enjoy your Organic Licorice made in Australian today – in store now – here.
Its Spring, its Master Cleanse time of year! We have noticed everyone is stocking up on Certified Organic B Grade Maple Syrup, Cayenne Pepper, Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt and all the other goodies to enjoy a good cleanse.
The Master Cleanse is designed to cleanse your body, aid in weight loss, reduce acne, bloating, gas, indigestion, aches, pains and fatigue. And just to improve overall health and energy – all by removing toxic internal waste that has been sitting in our bodies for years.
By letting the body rest from the time it normally spends on breaking down, digesting and assimilating food, the body can naturally spend time to cleanse itself.
There are many websites dedicated to the famous Master Cleanse, documenting experiences and best recipes.
Remember: Certified Organic ingredients are best as we are aiming to cleanse our body of toxic waste and chemicals including all the pesticides, herbicides and pollution we inhale and some may consume very day.
How to do a Master Cleanse:
1. Drink your Master Cleanse drinks every day for whatever duration of your cleanse: this depends on your level of activity, and ability to fast and rest on the cleanse. Fasting has been done for centuries by many cultures for its healthy benefits. It is a good kick-start to cleansing your body.
2. How long? This depends on when you choose to start your cleanse – during holidays or a busy work week. Remember that during a cleanse, rest is also important to relax your body and nervous system. If life is always busy, that is fine, any cleanse for any duration is better than none.
A start is just 1 day of liquids and/or light foods as in point 3 and 4 to gauge your energy. Persevere through your second day working towards a good juice/fluids fast with no solid food, and by Day 3 you will be feeling so much lighter and fresher.
A good week of cleansing a few times a year is common practice to rejuvenate your body and reverse any signs of ailment. The maximum period of a cleanse recommended by many practitioners is 10 days. If you can manage 3 days, you are on track. Don’t feel guilty for not staying on a cleanse longer. The idea is a guilt-free happy detox for whatever duration.
3. What organic drink or recipe is best? Take your pick –
– whether it be the Lemonade Drink recipes below or
– raw vegetable juices – kale, carrot, celery, parsley, spinach, beetroot, ginger, pear and apple: lots of blood and fluid purifying choices here.
Combine the above Lemonade or juices with any of the below to supplement your energy requirements if needed:
– vegetable broth – light, home made and not over cooked – carrot, celery, spinach, parsley …
– cleansing teas e.g. peppermint, chamomile, fennel, tulsi, Extox Tea – all found here
– smoothies with natural plant protein and green powders full of chlorophyll and detoxifying properties e.g. spirulina and other Super Green powders or Nutrient Superfoods such as Maca (hormone balance), delicious high protein Mesquite, antioxidant plus Maqui and Acai. See our favourite Power Smoothie below.
All these extra treats boost your energy requirements for busier lifestyles wanting to include a Master Cleanse in their schedules.
4. Entering or exiting from a Master Cleanse – Slowly enter and exit your cleanse with fresh raw vegetables, salads, soups and heartier smoothies with a good fast on liquids inbetween.
And enjoy it all happily, no stress or anxiety, accepting all that you do is fine and good. Stray off the path alittle? … thats ok – that is your 20%. Jump back on and rejuvenate with your 80% life-giving living foods and healthy habits.
A key is to Eat a Rainbow :)!
Our favourite Power Smoothie:
* Rice or Nut Milk e.g. almond, hazelnut, walnut or chestnut OR DIY Nut milk with a Nut Milk Bag
* Vegetable Juice e.g. carrot, kale, spinach, cabbage, beetroot, ginger, pear, celery.
* 1 tsp or tbspn depending on how many nutrients you would like of any of the below.Click here to search for these organic superfoods:
– MicrOrganics Green Superfoods or Synergy Super Greens Powder
– Acai or Maqui – super high antioxidants
– Mesquite – high protein caramelly flavour – yum!
– Maca – hormonal balance
– Lucuma – fibre, calcium, vitamin C
– Pea or Sprouted Rice Protein powders
– Chia seeds, Black Sesame Seeds or Hemp Seeds – omega 3s, good essential fatty acids and protein
– Carob – alkaline mineral boost plus addictive flavour
* Fresh Banana.
You can vary the amounts of each depending on your preference for flavour. Some days we just love a carob banana smoothie, or a citrus berry-like Acai drink.
Blend and enjoy – YUM!
Master Cleanse Lemonade Drink Recipes:
1. (single serving):
2 Tablespoons of organic lemon Juice (about 1/2 a Lemon)
2 Tablespoons of Organic grade B maple syrup (not the commercial maple flavoured syrup you use on pancakes)
1/10 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper powder
Ten ounces of filtered water
What are your recipes and tips for a great Master Cleanse?
After choosing more alkaline foods, lets look at some quick tips on what foods we ideally should eat together and foods we should eat alone.
The basis of food combining is that the body digests starch carbohydrates first using alkaline enzymes. Heavy proteins such as animal proteins require acidic enzymes for digestion, and take longer to pass through our digestive system.
Based on simple chemistry, combining alkaline and acid can neutralise enzymes, causing foods to sit undigested, fermenting in the body, building up gas and bloating. This is an acidic state which creates inflammation and disease in our once healthy bodies.
Jill Ettinger from the Organic Authority lists some quick and easy tips which we have also added to, so you will remember and most of all, use every day when choosing your next delicious meal. Thanks Jill!
6 Tips for Healthy Food Combining:
1. Fruits first or all alone, and all melons should only be eaten alone. They are nature’s candy; sweet, fibrous and full of all sorts of nutrients. They’re so good that your body wants to get them in your system fast, so they digest quicker than any other foods. This is great when you grab an apple as a snack. Fruits after a meal is not good. Fruits will get trapped in between slower digesting foods in the pipeline, which can cause fermenting, gas and bloating.
2. Proteins and greens. Animal proteins and starch do not mix. Vegetable proteins and starch are OK. Protein is a great way to feel full so that you avoid grabbing high energy sugary treats. Heavy animal proteins eaten with the wrong foods e.g. starchy breads, rice, pasta – can make you feel sluggish and bloated. Have a salad with your sandwich and avoid the starchy chips. Combined badly, the body will process the carbs (using alkaline enzymes) first leaving the proteins (which require acidic enzymes) without proper attention, causing major tummy aches.
3. Skip the sips. Liquid dilutes the enzymes in the stomach that are critical to digestion. While it’s important to stay well hydrated, drink an hour before or after your meal. If you simply can’t do without, take small sips. Never gulp.
4. Veggie Burgers. Starches need alkalinity to digest properly. Greens are the best source of alkaline foods. So whether it’s a baked potato or tofu sandwich, pair it with something green.
5. Think like your food. It may sound silly, but it works. Where do the ingredients on your plate come from? If one item was grown in the jungle, one from your backyard, something weird that looks like it was frozen and then deep-fried, it’ll probably end up feeling like your stomach is taking you on a world tour later. Eat like with like and head for the dance floor instead of the Pepto.
6. Soup, Salad, Starch, Protein. Memorise that list. If you eat your meals following that order, by consuming the easiest and quicker digested first, you’re less likely to regret a single bite.
So think alkaline, think clean meals, enjoying the 80% of healthy eating, whilst also indulging in the 20% of your favourite foods, guilt-free knowing that the rest of your good habits create a balanced lifestyle.
As we previously mentioned in a last post, a more alkaline diet promotes good health, reducing the risk of inflammation and stress on our body.
Why is this?
Our normal pH level is slightly alkaline, slightly above neutral at around 7.2 – 7.3.
A healthy alkaline body feels – good levels of energy, has a clear mind to make decisions and focus on tasks at hand, has a good healthy appetite, does not feel bloated or too gassy, has regular easy bowel movements, sleeps well and wakes up feeling rejuvenated.
An acidic body leads to inflammation, potential heart disease, arthritis and a list of other life-threatening ailments due to the imbalance of acid and alkaline in our body’s fluids and tissues. It is simple chemistry. Our body cannot sustain a healthy equilibrium in an acidic state.
Some symptoms may be feeling thirsty after a meal, or feeling prickly skin that sweats or becomes red and itchy. Internal inflammation can visibly manifests itself through our skin – skin disorders, rash, eczema are all signs. Or a good indication is a red colour on the tip of your tongue maybe even swollen, or sore. A heavy whiteish or yellow coating on your tongue each morning tells alot about a bad diet. You can feel the difference when you eat a fresh alkaline food instead of an acidic food.
For optimum cell function, we require more alkaline foods which are also high in nutrition.
A balance of 80-20 alkaline-acid is the ideal ratio to boost your immunity, rejuvenate your hard-working body, cleanse toxins and organs and recharge your energy.
However our modern day eating habits or availability of more processed, higher fat, higher salt, higher animal and higher sugar types of foods have caused our normal healthy pH to become more acidic.
Alkalising foods – green vegetables, sprouts (DIY Sprout Kit) – full of active enzymes, raw and nutritious plant protein. Organic is best without pesticides and toxic chemicals, and even better raw foods.
Acidifying foods – meat, dairy, some grains, fast food.
There are many sources of information available on alkaline vs acidic foods and also various ways of how the pH of foods are tested – testing ash residue of the food or the sugar levels of foods and its effects on our body.
A good website we found described an informative chart and some simple strategies that may help to gradually balance your pH level:
– non-dairy milks e.g. almond milk instead of animal dairy products
– no red meat and reduction of any chicken or turkey
– no soft drinks, soda, coffee – alkaline water and alkaline green drinks instead
– wholewheat products instead of anything containing white flour
– big salads as a whole meal as often as possible, including tomatoes, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, almonds, avocados with pumpkin, sunflower, or sesame seeds
– no processed, ready made or fast food at all.
The food chart below for Alkaline and Acidic Food is divided into three categories:
1. Foods you should eat in abundance
2. Foods you should eat moderately
3. Foods you should try to avoid.
The table below helps to identify various foods’ pH-level. Each one is assigned a number which mirrors its approximate relative potential of alkalinity (+) or acidity (-) existent in one ounce (28.35g) of food. The higher the number, the better it is for you to eat.
Healthy Alkaline Foods
Non-Stored Organic Grains And Legumes
Fats (Fresh, Cold-Pressed Oils)
Foods you should only
Unhealthy Acidic Foods
Meat, Poultry, And Fish
Table: pH scale of alkaline and acid forming foods
(Source: “Back To The House Of Health” by Shelley Redford Young and from http://www.balance-ph-diet.com/acid_alkaline_food_chart.html)
Enjoy a healthy and delicious balance of foods for a healthy body and healthier future.