Its Spring, its Master Cleanse time of year! We have noticed everyone is stocking up on Certified Organic B Grade Maple Syrup, Cayenne Pepper, Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt and all the other goodies to enjoy a good cleanse.
The Master Cleanse is designed to cleanse your body, aid in weight loss, reduce acne, bloating, gas, indigestion, aches, pains and fatigue. And just to improve overall health and energy – all by removing toxic internal waste that has been sitting in our bodies for years.
By letting the body rest from the time it normally spends on breaking down, digesting and assimilating food, the body can naturally spend time to cleanse itself.
There are many websites dedicated to the famous Master Cleanse, documenting experiences and best recipes.
Remember: Certified Organic ingredients are best as we are aiming to cleanse our body of toxic waste and chemicals including all the pesticides, herbicides and pollution we inhale and some may consume very day.
How to do a Master Cleanse:
1. Drink your Master Cleanse drinks every day for whatever duration of your cleanse: this depends on your level of activity, and ability to fast and rest on the cleanse. Fasting has been done for centuries by many cultures for its healthy benefits. It is a good kick-start to cleansing your body.
2. How long? This depends on when you choose to start your cleanse – during holidays or a busy work week. Remember that during a cleanse, rest is also important to relax your body and nervous system. If life is always busy, that is fine, any cleanse for any duration is better than none.
A start is just 1 day of liquids and/or light foods as in point 3 and 4 to gauge your energy. Persevere through your second day working towards a good juice/fluids fast with no solid food, and by Day 3 you will be feeling so much lighter and fresher.
A good week of cleansing a few times a year is common practice to rejuvenate your body and reverse any signs of ailment. The maximum period of a cleanse recommended by many practitioners is 10 days. If you can manage 3 days, you are on track. Don’t feel guilty for not staying on a cleanse longer. The idea is a guilt-free happy detox for whatever duration.
3. What organic drink or recipe is best? Take your pick –
– whether it be the Lemonade Drink recipes below or
– raw vegetable juices – kale, carrot, celery, parsley, spinach, beetroot, ginger, pear and apple: lots of blood and fluid purifying choices here.
Combine the above Lemonade or juices with any of the below to supplement your energy requirements if needed:
– vegetable broth – light, home made and not over cooked – carrot, celery, spinach, parsley …
– cleansing teas e.g. peppermint, chamomile, fennel, tulsi, Extox Tea – all found here
– smoothies with natural plant protein and green powders full of chlorophyll and detoxifying properties e.g. spirulina and other Super Green powders or Nutrient Superfoods such as Maca (hormone balance), delicious high protein Mesquite, antioxidant plus Maqui and Acai. See our favourite Power Smoothie below.
All these extra treats boost your energy requirements for busier lifestyles wanting to include a Master Cleanse in their schedules.
4. Entering or exiting from a Master Cleanse – Slowly enter and exit your cleanse with fresh raw vegetables, salads, soups and heartier smoothies with a good fast on liquids inbetween.
5. Enjoy your new energy and brighter attitude. After your cleanse, keep up the ideal balance of 80-20 alkaline-acid foods, and proper food combining plus healthy lifestyle habits.
And enjoy it all happily, no stress or anxiety, accepting all that you do is fine and good. Stray off the path alittle? … thats ok – that is your 20%. Jump back on and rejuvenate with your 80% life-giving living foods and healthy habits.
A key is to Eat a Rainbow :)!
Our favourite Power Smoothie:
* Rice or Nut Milk e.g. almond, hazelnut, walnut or chestnut OR DIY Nut milk with a Nut Milk Bag
* Vegetable Juice e.g. carrot, kale, spinach, cabbage, beetroot, ginger, pear, celery.
* 1 tsp or tbspn depending on how many nutrients you would like of any of the below.Click here to search for these organic superfoods:
– MicrOrganics Green Superfoods or Synergy Super Greens Powder
– Acai or Maqui – super high antioxidants
– Mesquite – high protein caramelly flavour – yum!
– Maca – hormonal balance
– Lucuma – fibre, calcium, vitamin C
– Pea or Sprouted Rice Protein powders
– Chia seeds, Black Sesame Seeds or Hemp Seeds – omega 3s, good essential fatty acids and protein
– Carob – alkaline mineral boost plus addictive flavour
* Fresh Banana.
You can vary the amounts of each depending on your preference for flavour. Some days we just love a carob banana smoothie, or a citrus berry-like Acai drink.
Blend and enjoy – YUM!
Master Cleanse Lemonade Drink Recipes:
1. (single serving):
2 Tablespoons of organic lemon Juice (about 1/2 a Lemon)
2 Tablespoons of Organic grade B maple syrup (not the commercial maple flavoured syrup you use on pancakes)
1/10 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper powder
Ten ounces of filtered water
2. (1.5L daily serving):
1.5L of filtered water
12 Tablespoons of organic grade B maple syrup
12 Tablespoons of organic lemon juice
1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper powder
What are your recipes and tips for a great Master Cleanse?