After choosing more alkaline foods, lets look at some quick tips on what foods we ideally should eat together and foods we should eat alone.
The basis of food combining is that the body digests starch carbohydrates first using alkaline enzymes. Heavy proteins such as animal proteins require acidic enzymes for digestion, and take longer to pass through our digestive system.
Based on simple chemistry, combining alkaline and acid can neutralise enzymes, causing foods to sit undigested, fermenting in the body, building up gas and bloating. This is an acidic state which creates inflammation and disease in our once healthy bodies.
Jill Ettinger from the Organic Authority lists some quick and easy tips which we have also added to, so you will remember and most of all, use every day when choosing your next delicious meal. Thanks Jill!
6 Tips for Healthy Food Combining:
1. Fruits first or all alone, and all melons should only be eaten alone. They are nature’s candy; sweet, fibrous and full of all sorts of nutrients. They’re so good that your body wants to get them in your system fast, so they digest quicker than any other foods. This is great when you grab an apple as a snack. Fruits after a meal is not good. Fruits will get trapped in between slower digesting foods in the pipeline, which can cause fermenting, gas and bloating.
2. Proteins and greens. Animal proteins and starch do not mix. Vegetable proteins and starch are OK. Protein is a great way to feel full so that you avoid grabbing high energy sugary treats. Heavy animal proteins eaten with the wrong foods e.g. starchy breads, rice, pasta – can make you feel sluggish and bloated. Have a salad with your sandwich and avoid the starchy chips. Combined badly, the body will process the carbs (using alkaline enzymes) first leaving the proteins (which require acidic enzymes) without proper attention, causing major tummy aches.
3. Skip the sips. Liquid dilutes the enzymes in the stomach that are critical to digestion. While it’s important to stay well hydrated, drink an hour before or after your meal. If you simply can’t do without, take small sips. Never gulp.
4. Veggie Burgers. Starches need alkalinity to digest properly. Greens are the best source of alkaline foods. So whether it’s a baked potato or tofu sandwich, pair it with something green.
5. Think like your food. It may sound silly, but it works. Where do the ingredients on your plate come from? If one item was grown in the jungle, one from your backyard, something weird that looks like it was frozen and then deep-fried, it’ll probably end up feeling like your stomach is taking you on a world tour later. Eat like with like and head for the dance floor instead of the Pepto.
6. Soup, Salad, Starch, Protein. Memorise that list. If you eat your meals following that order, by consuming the easiest and quicker digested first, you’re less likely to regret a single bite.
So think alkaline, think clean meals, enjoying the 80% of healthy eating, whilst also indulging in the 20% of your favourite foods, guilt-free knowing that the rest of your good habits create a balanced lifestyle.